Skip to main content

Your Roots Are Showing




I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least

Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does.

I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch.

There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embracing my gray, but as you can see in the photo above, I'm still having my favorite stylist slap some color on it every 5 to 6 weeks. I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to my dark hair yet.

This middle age thing is not completely unwelcome. It has its rewards. I find I am far less self conscious than I've ever been. I am able to talk to strangers without wondering what they think of me. I'm less worried about my career moves. I'm no longer as self-conscious about my body. I don't get acne. And I've entered the glory days of menopause with no more excruciating cramping (I won't get into the downsides of that one).

No one asks me if I'm dating anybody, when I'm going to get married, what I'm going to be when I grow up, or when I'll have children. Those milestones are pretty much behind me. What's done is done. The critics have finally stopped asking.

I don't know any of the latest musicians. I perpetually call things by the wrong names. I honestly still don't know how to say meme or giff. Is it jiff?

I don't care if what I wear matches the latest trends. I'm like that "I will wear purple lady" with the red hat. Who cares if I stick out like a sore thumb?

It's pretty good overall, this aging thing. You see more. You relax more. You understand more. You enjoy more. I know who I am. I know what I believe. I have embraced my quirks, my failures, my annoying little habits.

I am plumper, grayer, blinder, sorer . . . but probably quite a bit happier.

And, by the way, I don't care if the Russians steal my identity. But I also don't need a phone app to tell me what I'll look like.

I'm pretty much there already.






Comments

Michele Morin said…
Oh, how I love this!
I'm in the throes of all this lovely/not lovely aging process as well, convinced that "I'm not getting older, I'm getting better," but all the while knowing that there's a down side to this that's more apparent some days than others.
Thanks for your joyful words here!
Jamie Janosz said…
Thank you, Michele. Yes. We have to learn to laugh and just embrace the moment... But I'll be the first to admit that some days - especially my back ache days - it's a bit harder!
Ann Thomas said…
Oh I love this! You said what all of us feel. Spot on Jamie ♥️
Ruth said…
Beautiful thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I love some of the changes that come with age as well.
Jamie Janosz said…
Thank you, Ann and Ruth (and all my dear readers). Yes. We can claim this moment as good, right!? Even with all of the shifting sand that is a reality with our gracefully aging bodies.
Anonymous said…
Well done, Jamie! We miss you at clogging, so rest that back and away you go! We have all aged a little while you have been traveling, by the way! Beth

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the