Skip to main content

God Will Supply All Your Needs


Sitting a midst piles of brown cardboard boxes, I’m the classic “day after move in” mess. 

I still haven’t found our microwave or our kitchen table in the packing container, so I’m balancing my computer precariously on my lap and drinking coffee from my rapidly cooling mug knowing there is no chance of reheating.

But I am also filled with a thankful heart. God has been with us throughout our cross-country move. Day after day I have seen His provision and His guiding hand, and I am deeply and utterly grateful.

Last summer, in the midst of selling our house, I visited with a professor at Moody Bible Institute, Dr. Ron Sauer. I was interviewing him about his practice of praying, daily, for his students. Before classes begin, he walks through the room, stopping at each desk and remembering each of his students, individually, in prayer.

He said that he believes that God answers these prayers and cares about each of us, deeply and individually.

Then, he asked to pray for me.

As I sat in his faculty office, head bowed, eyes closed, he asked God to be with us in our move. He asked that we sell at the right moment, and that we would find the right town, the right house, the right neighborhood. He asked that we sell for a price that would make that possible. He asked that God would go before us and find a friend for Sabrina – the perfect friend who could welcome her to her new neighborhood. He prayed for safety on the road and for crazy, specific things that I never even thought to bring before the altar of grace.

And, I wept.

I cried because I had prayed to God, but I hadn’t thought to bring Him all of those tiny worries that were clogging up my heart and brain. I wept because I realized that God really did care for me like that, in specific ways, and that He cared for my family as well.

My favorite Bible verse has always been Psalm 32:8. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go. I will counsel you with my loving eye upon you.”

Yet, I often live like I am the one in control. I act like everything rests on my shoulders.

In that office, with tears streaming down my face – heading unashamedly into an “ugly cry” – I knew in my heart that God would care for me.

When we finished, Dr. Sauer pushed a box of tissues toward me. “Do people always cry in your office,” I asked.

“No,” he smiled. “Mainly the women.”

Today, as I sit in our new-to-us, unpacked, cluttered, mid-century home in Ormond Beach, Florida, I am a witness to God’s provision.

He arranged our move so that Sabrina could leave mid-semester. He scheduled the pick-up of Milt’s car so that we were on the road at Christmas – but with good weather and very little traffic. Gas prices were at an all-time low.

My mom and her husband Bob allowed us to live, rent free, in their Munster condo and then crash our gang into their Florida home. We had a place to stay and were able to have a long-needed visit.

Our new house closed in less than two weeks – and Sabrina was able to start school on time. While her first day was very tough, she has already made two friends: a Russian girl who doesn’t know any English (and is so thankful for my sweet, caring daughter), and an artist, anime-loving, cosplay girl who is sweet and welcoming.

Thank you, God.

You know me. You care for me. You supply all of my needs...even when I don't know how to ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr