Skip to main content

Dwight and Emma and a place called MBI



One day, on eBay, I found this silver key charm from 1915. Because I love history and all things vintage, from time to time, I do an online search for items that are related to Moody Bible Institute. This charm belonged to at student named Myron Griswold - and asked to be returned if lost...for a reward!

As I walked to my Chicago office, Myron's charm on a chain around my neck, I smiled. This little bit of history was going back to the right place, a place where I have worked since 1990. Funny how things come full circle.

I work at Moody Bible Institute because I love my job - I teach writing to college students who are driven to change the world for good. I help them learn to tell their stories and articulate their faith. They are hopeful, sometimes naive, but always determined that they can make a difference.

I also work there because I believe in the purpose and history of this unique and important Chicago institution  The college, located in the center of downtown, is a century-old bastion of Bible education. The school began in the late 1800s with the specific intent of training men and women in Bible and practical ministry.

Turn-of-the-century Chicago was a rough place. If you've read Devil in the White City or Sin and the Second City, you can imagine the problems. A huge wave of immigration had increased the city's size, but also the number of destitute families. Industrialization had brought jobs, but also child labor problems and harsh work environments. Women arriving in the city looking for work were often caught up in sex trafficking. The skyscrapers were rising and casting shadows on the sewage-filled city streets.

Into this place of need and vice, a young East coast evangelist came. He was bold and charming, not particularly educated, but spoke confidently and preached well. He attracted masses of listeners. He was not wealthy and not schooled, but he had a burden for orphans and street children. He started a Sunday School and invited in all the children who would ordinarily not darken the doorstep of a church. His ministry grew.


He met a woman, Emma Dryer, who was a single, school teacher from the East. She was training other teachers in Normal, Illinois, at the newly built university. She also felt called by God to do something different with her life. He challenged her: "Teaching is okay for some people," he told her. "But you can do more..."

She did. Moody and Dryer started a school - a training school for men and women. She took a map of Chicago and drew a grid upon it. She organized workers to visit every home in the rough and tumble city. They handed out Bibles and started classes to train immigrants with home and work skills.


A portly, uneducated man. A single female teacher. Together they started something grand.

Moody Bible Institute still stands today. The college and seminary, now located in three states, has trained thousands of young men and women to work as relief workers, teachers, preachers, missionaries, linguists and musicians. Our students have left for every country - going where they are needed.


D.L. Moody wanted to make sure that students would attend regardless of their ability to pay - and that tradition continues today. Tuition is paid for by donors at the Chicago undergraduate campus.


What a legacy these two ordinary people left behind.

Comments

Unknown said…
What an amazing and fascinating historical recap. A testament that you don't have to be great to get started, but you just have to get started to be great.Dwight and Emma Moody are great people. Blessings
Jamie Janosz said…
Thank you, Hope! You said it perfectly!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr