Skip to main content

Don't Fade Away...Winter Dance Party







A chilly Iowa landscape became the final resting place for Buddy Holly, Ritchie Vallens, and the Big Bopper. They were like any other musicians, travelling from place to place, arriving at new venues, hoping that their songs would receive the same rousing reception that they had found on the radio.

 
This past summer, we visited the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa.
 



The Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, was a perfect venue. Huge wooden dance floor. Tropical theme - to warm their spirits in the bitterly cold Midwest winter. Who knew that the evening of February 2, 1959, which held such energy and promise, would end in tragedy?

That night, the Winter Dance Party, would be forever immortalized by the fans who couldn't quite believe they were gone. Fast forward some 50 years later, and their memories have not yet faded away.


Fans of Buddy, Ritchie and the Big Bopper, gathered at Willowbrook Ballroom this January to hear the touring tribute to the Winter Dance Party http://www.winterdanceparty.com/. Two of the artists, representing Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens, are played by musicians who are dedicated to keeping their music and memories alive. Ray Anthony bears a striking resemblance to the very young, good-looking Vallens. Buddy Holly tribute artist, John Mueller, from Los Angeles, captured the angular quirkiness and charm of Holly.


The Big Bopper was represented by his son, Jay Richardson While he never knew his father, Jay was born six months after the plane crash that claimed the life of his father, there were moments when he clearly communicated his dad's deep voice and sense of humor.

He took a rotary dial phone in hand - and told the young people in the audience, "You might not know what this is...it's a telephone." He even explained, tongue in cheek, that you cannot take pictures with it. Then, with the phone ringing, he sang, "Helllllllooooooo baby..." and we were off.

I enjoyed watching the crowd. People smiled at the songs. Couples. danced in the back. And, others recalled the events they associated with the music. I heard several people say they knew someone who knew the person who flew the plane that crashed in the Iowa farm field.

I do know that everyone had a great time. We sat with two men, a father and his son, who are both huge Buddy Holly fans. The son said that everyone teases him about his interest in this "old" musician - but - for him - Holly has a draw that keeps him even attending these tribute shows.

Not everyone appreciates tribute artists. But, whether it is Elvis or Buddy Holly, it gives us an opportunity to hear their music again, performed live, as if it never faded away. Several years ago, at the Green Bay Rockin 50s Fest, we danced to the music of the original Crickets, Holly's band. Last summer, we visited the Surf Ballroom - a place we will never forget. But, this show gave me the chance to imagine that I had been there - in 1959 - to hear the three play their final show.



We had a great time at the Winter Dance Party 2013.

Buddy, Ritchie, and the Big Bopper will never fade away.


Comments

Anonymous said…
It looked like a fun time had by all. Ya know, I'm thinking Milt may have a bigger wardrobe than you?
Mr. Tiny said…
That looks like a lot of fun!! I would love to see the Surf Ballroom!

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr