Skip to main content

To My Mom, As She Retires




My mom retired yesterday after nearly four decades as a teacher. This is my letter to her:

Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a teacher, just like you, mom.

I remember playing school with dolls and friends, passing out worksheets and writing on a chalkboard. I would mimic all of the things I had seen you do in your real-life classroom.

You have taught school for as long as I can remember. I always loved going with you to school. In those early summers, when you were teaching in Thornton, in those non-air-conditioned classrooms, I would get a cold bottle of grape pop in the vending machine and help you cut out construction paper alphabet letters for your bulletin board. I loved watching you help boys and girls learn to read and write and add and subtract. Your students loved and respected you. Your classrooms were colorful and interactive and always well organized.

I remember your first days at Glenwood School. As I rode onto the campus for my first visit, I was impressed by the tall trees and stately brick buildings. The boys – only boys at that time – wore neckties. In those years, before the updates the school enjoys today, the buildings seemed old and musty.

You were assigned to teach special education students in a big back room with high ceilings and heavy rolled up window shades. There was a large piano sitting in the middle and vinyl upholstered furniture. I remember that the room had a lot of space, but seemed old-fashioned. We could hear the band playing in the classroom below us.

You were not intimidated by the surroundings. Immediately you set to work cleaning out the cobwebs and covering old tables with fresh contact paper. You raised the dark shades and let the light stream into the room. Up went colorful posters and students were welcomed with individual folders complete with their schedules and assignments.You were the Mary Poppins of learning – and with one touch the atmosphere was transformed.

Your classroom was filled with fun and learning. At any one time you could have a dozen students on individually assigned tracks of progress. The students loved to come to your classroom. They loved tracking their own accomplishments and earning rewards for top effort. You ran a tight ship. Students did not goof around in your classrooms – yet they always seemed to have fun. You knew how to discipline them and still make them feel welcome.

You loved to plan special parties. Many times you took groups of boys out for lunch. Sometimes you brought lunch in. I remember the make your own French crepe parties and an Italian party – where two of the Glenwood boys treated us to their mom’s homemade pasta.

Our whole family was often on the campus enjoying Flag Day and the military processions. We traveled through the north woods up to Camp Glenwood – and many of the members of the Glenwood faculty have seemed like members of our family.

I know you will miss this wonderful school and the memories you have of both employees and students. Glenwood has been a part of your life and of my life.

I am proud of you. You are, for me, the true example of a teacher, someone with boundless love, creativity and energy. You are someone who loves students and has the ability to make them want to learn. Your impact on their lives certainly has continued to this day.

Congratulations Mom! I know it is hard for you to retire – but you have worked long and hard and deserve this time of relaxation. You have set an amazing example for all of us in this profession.

Comments

ben said…
What a lovely, touching post, Jamie. Thanks for sharing it - Ben

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr