Skip to main content

A Beach Blessing


Yesterday, I felt like a tourist.

We packed a picnic basket with ice and drinks and bag of salt and pepper chips that I can't stop eating. We drove the few miles south to the central area of Daytona Beach.

Milt loves Daytona Beach because they allow cars to drive on it. He gets to look at the water and automobiles - all at one time.

For years, Milt and I have made this stop on every trip to Florida. There is something magical about waking up to the sun rising over the Atlantic Ocean, so our hotels were always upgraded slightly to include an ocean view room.

The trouble with vacations is that the weather doesn't always cooperate. Many times we were at Daytona on cloudy, cool days. We would stubbornly plunk down on our beach towels, wearing sweatshirts with the wind whipping sand pellets at our faces, refusing to admit that this just wasn't working.

Today wasn't one of those days. It was Good Friday and the beach was packed. We squeezed our Kia Soul into the first available spot. The sun was full-on gorgeousness. But no longer had we sat down then a young couple in their 20s came walking up to us, smiling.

The guy turned to Milt and said, "Do you mind if we talk to you for a minute?" To which my husband quickly replied, "What are you selling?"

"Nothing," he said, shaking his head. The girl added, "I felt like we were supposed to come and talk to you." "Yes," he nodded. Now they were crouching down in front of us.

Why are they crouching? Why are they in our space?

"I think you have something you are meant to give away," the young man explained. "Not necessarily money. Land?"

Are they selling timeshares? I wondered... what is this? Why are they two blocking my view?

"And, you," she said, pointing at me. "You are meant to give as well, something about being a hairstylist. Creative?"

There was an uncomfortable silence. I was completely confused. Who were these people, and why were they tell me to be a hairstylist? Was it too much to be left alone for one moment? I hadn't even put suntan lotion on yet.

"We're Christians," he said.

Oh...oh...oh...the clouds cleared. I get it. I had been there. I had done evangelism in some of the toughest neighborhoods in Chicago. They were evangelizing...me.

"We are too," I said.

They continued to talk about college and what they hope to do. I told them about Moody, and Milt told them about my book. They were adorable, really. They are dating and trying their best to do what God tells them to do. And this time He told them to talk to us.

And then they asked if they could pray for us. And they blessed us. And it was really beautiful.

The rest of the day was ordinary. We ate oysters at the Ocean Deck. Walked on the boardwalk and played skeeball. Bought a shell-covered souvenir.

But I won't forget that prayer. Even though my introverted self rebelled against such an intrusion, it was a lovely start to our day. A moment of consecration of ordinary life. It was a Good Friday beach blessing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr