Skip to main content

You're It!

Thanks to my friend, writer, and fellow blogger Amanda Cleary Eastep for passing along this blog prompt. Try it out on your blog or just enjoy reading it and meeting some new bloggers!

What do you think of when you the hear the word tag? I think of recess at Parkside School in Thornton, Illinois. I remember being "it" a lot because I wasn't so good at running or any type of outdoor activity. I also remember the "cootie" stage where the girls would try to catch the boys or boys catch the girls and "infect" them.
Do you think you’re hot? Last week, I was extremely hot :-). The humidity was killing me. My husband and I did the air conditioning battle - he inched the dial up - and I put it back down.

No - seriously - I feel like at age 45 I am finally growing into my body and becoming less worried about my appearance.
Upload a picture or wallpaper that you’re using at the moment.


This is a sunset in Door County, Wisconsin - always one of my favorite spots.
When was the last time you ate chicken? Yesterday, we went to La Creperie in downtown Chicago. We sat at the outdoor back patio and had crepes with chicken and mushrooms - finished off, of course, with a nutella and banana crepe (my favorite). Milt and I used to go to this little spot when we were dating. It was my daughter Sabrina's first visit.
The song(s) you listened to recently. I've been watching Glee with Sabrina...and I've really really enjoyed hearing some songs that I haven't heard for ages. The episode about religion was especially moving to me with: "Losing My Religion" and "One of Us"...two of my favorite alternative songs about faith.
What were you thinking as you were doing this? That my friend Amanda is pretty cool :-). And - I'm glad that I know so many writers, thinkers, and bloggers.
Do you have nicknames? What are they? Not really. Some people call me James. My family used to call me "Vera" after the dingy waitress at Mel's Diner. My grade school friends called me "Storms" - my maiden name.

Tag 8 blogger friends…








Who’s listed as No. 1? Connie. We were friends 25 years ago in college and reunited during the Chicago Blizzard at our reunion. Now we are reunited friends and writers - and she just got back from an exciting trip with Wycliffe to write about missions work in Europe.

Say something about No. 5 Ilene was my student. Her blog is so fun - and she is the most faithful blogger I know with a HUGE following. How do you do it!?


How did you get to know No. 3? John and I teach together. He has a sarcastic wit that helps keep me sane at MBI. I love his narratives. He is also published - I am jealous!

How about No. 4? Anna and I were roommates in grad school. She is creative and driven and is married to a Frenchman. I miss her!

 
Leave a message for No. 6. I will miss you at Moody! Be sure to stay in touch with me. I so appreciate your insights and sensitive soul...

Leave a lovey dovey message for No. 2. Hmmmm - I don't know about lovey dovey :-) - but I so love your huge heart and think you are an amazing person and writer and dad.

Do No. 7 and No. 8 have any similarities? Both former students. Both individuals who aren't afraid to step outside of the box and see everything (including faith) from a unique and yet utterly devoted light. I admire you both!
If you’re reading, please take a few minutes to check out these great bloggers, and if you have a blog…Tag, you’re it!



Comments

Teryn O'Brien said…
Hey Mrs. J--thanks so much for including my blog in this list, and for your encouraging message. :) We should get together in the fall. I'll still be in the city for a while, I think. I think of you often! :)
Anonymous said…
I'm glad we both took the time to do this. Really enjoyed checking out your favorite bloggers.
ben said…
Jamie, thank you ... even without the "lovey dovey" :), I was genuinely touched by what you wrote. You've been a real friend and encouragement to me, all the way back to that first semester in the Fall of '97 (seems like a lifetime ago). If I have time, I'll try to keep the chain going and tag a few others! Again, thank you, and bless you - Ben
Connie Mann said…
Thanks so much for tagging me, Jamie!! I appreciate it! And now...you've been tagged back on my blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr