Skip to main content

Why I Loved Being a Band Geek

As I sat in the audience at my daughter's handbell concert, the third one of the year, I couldn't help but say a silent thank you to my own mom and dad who faithfully attended my many band and choir concerts.

My music experience began in 2nd grade - taking piano lessons from Mrs. Vanden Bosch. In 5th grade, I joined the Wolcott Jr. High band pictured above. I am the one not dressed in uniform in the first row, second from the left. Our band director, Mr. Pitts, was an older balding man who wore short sleeve cotton shirts and frequently smoothed down his unrully white wiry hair. Mr. Pitts would patiently lead our beginning band as we squawked and squeaked through the notes. Shaking his head in despair, he would play the song for us on his upright piano. He would then raise his baton back to our 5th grade band, begging us to play anything that resembled the correct tune.

"Marching to Pretoria" was Mr. Pitts favorite song. We played it again and again while marching back and forth on a road next to the town's limestone quarry -- Thornton's only claim to fame. My classmate Paul Larson was probably the best musician in our straggly group - but he played the sousaphone, so his musical finesse was often under appreciated.

I joined the Wolcott choir as well, even though I sang in monotone. My parents, in an act of great pity, signed me up for private voice lessons where the teacher had me belt out Broadway show tunes and practice correct breathing. I remember exhaling slowly directly into a lit candle flame and trying not to make it waiver.

I wasn't a bad musician, but I certainly wasn't a great one either. Nevertheless, we were encouraged to participate in state music contests - where I both sang and played the flute. I am eternally thankful that my vocal rendition of "Edelweiss" was never recorded for posterity.

The pinnacle of my musical career was in high school where I was in the Thornwood Thunderbirds marching band and symphonic orchestra. I experienced the thrill and power of high stepping onto a football field at half time and marching down the Walt Disney World main street during the electric parade in full regalia. It was as close to royal as I have ever felt, participating in something so much bigger than myself or any sound that could come out of one silver flute. I was a member of something significant. I was in band.

My daugher has had a wonderful time as a member of the Clark Handbell Choir. Next year, they are cutting bell choir due to budget constraints. I am sorry about that. I think that most musical opportunities will stay available as extra curricular, after school activities. I hope she continues to be a part of an ensemble.

Band and choir groups aren't just about learning to play the flute or the oboe or the tuba. They are about discipline and growth. They are about seeing yourself struggle to make a sound in the 5th grade choir led by Mr. Pitts and then smiling as you march down Main Street making beautiful music. Music groups are about friendships that happen as a result of being on a team, from being a part of something bigger than any one person.

I am thankful for the teachers who listened to my bad music and who had the patience to help me improve. And, I am thankful to my mom and dad who encouraged me to take a chance, to learn piano, to sing on key, and to realize that I too could make beautiful music for all to hear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr