Skip to main content

Small Town Parades


There is probably not much my dad loved more than patriotic celebrations, especially when they came with a parade. Every Memorial Day and 4th of July I remember sitting on the cement curb in Thornton, Illinois, or neighboring South Holland, with my skinny legs stretched into the street waiting for the parade to begin.

Even though the sun was blazing, we always arrived early, which was okay with me. After all, you needed to be up front and center to catch the wrapped tootsie rolls they would toss out of the cars.

The parade always began with local celebrities like the town mayor perched in the back of classic cars. My dad could care less about the people, his eyes were only on the cars. He could name every one: "Yep, Fifty...Two...Ford....Galaxie.  Sharp...Sixty...Nine...Vette." Each word would be emphasized and deliberate. When one passed by that he loved, he'd let out a long, slow whistle. I intravenously absorbed car knowledge just sitting by his side.

Next came marching bands with drums, tubas, and the requisite John Phillips Sousa tunes. In junior high school, I joined the marching band playing the flute, glockenspiel, and even (once) the huge bass drum. I can still do the marching band arm move, snapping it up and back in rhythm. Next came the Shriners in those little zig-zagging clown cars, kids on bicycles, sometimes a karate group, the local tumbling gymnastics class, and a bunch of meandering boy and girl scout troops.

The fire-engines were last, with their loud, sustained screaming horns and whistles. I would clamp my hands over my ears, barely dimming the blaring sirens. It seemed to last forever. As if our town's police and fire department weren't enough, neighboring towns would send their ambulances and fire engines to join the party. Hundreds of them. My dad would look down at me and laugh. He loved it all. And we stayed firmly planted from the very start until the last ambulance faded into the distance. We were parade faithful.

When the street cleared, we would fold our chairs and blankets and make our way back to our family Malibu wood-sided station wagon. I held his hand as we meandered through the dense crowd, wiping the sweat off my forehead. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

As an adult, the 4th has lost some of its luster for me. I'm not a huge fan of grilled food, hot sun, neighborhood cookouts or bugs. And the 4th always seems a bit melancholy. As a student and then a professor, the celebration signaled that summer was halfway gone, and fall quickly approaching. It felt like sand slipping through my fingertips as freedom disappeared.

Tonight we'll head to our Florida neighborhood celebration, sitting near the causeway bridge as they shoot fireworks high in the sky over the Halifax River. We'll tilt our heads up to watch the explosive light and those new delightful dripping fireworks that look as if they're melting. And I'll enjoy this big party that celebrates who we are and the country in which we live.

We are holding a party not because we have to, but because we can. We celebrate who we are with our penchant for hot dogs and popcorn, apple pie and peanuts. We'll play frisbee and baseball, water ski and hang glide. We'll sit on cement curbs watching long, never-ending parades, and wear bedazzled t-shirts in red, white, and blue.

We are messy and loud and amazing. I'm glad to be an American.

God bless the U.S.A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr