Skip to main content

To my daughter on her graduation day


Was it 14 years ago that I sat in a festively decorated school auditorium and watched my four-year-old daughter “graduate” from pre-school?

The Thornridge Preschool did not skimp on the pomp and circumstance. Our daughter, Sabrina, wore a tiny white satin gown and a matching white graduation hat. The teachers made dozens of pastel tissue paper flowers that covered the small stage.

Our daughter was over-the-moon excited for the celebration. She had ordained that the post-graduation festivities would include McDonald’s Happy Meals for everyone.

That night, her dad and I sat on metal folding chairs and watched our little daughter walk up the aisle then sing with her classmates. The whole thing was adorable. Most of the time, however, Sabrina was distracted, admiring the little boy named Riley standing next to her. Riley was the class clown, and whenever they sang, Riley would sing theatrically, throw his arms out to the side like Pavarotti. Sabrina thought he was hilarious.

When it came time for the end, the teacher had the children read a graduation poem. I don’t remember the exact words (something about I’m leaving you forever), but I do remember that I began to weep profusely. It was an over-the-top, stick-a-knife-in-your-mama’s-heart song about growing up and never being your baby again and how life was going to change and waving goodbye.

I thought my heart would crack in two.

And now I am on the morning of my daughter’s graduation from Seabreeze High School. In the blink of an eye, fourteen years have passed. And in her closet hangs a red satin graduation gown and cap waiting to be worn. I am proud of her, much more proud than I was when she was four.

How can my heart contain so much? How can the memories not spill over in one huge hormonal wave of sentimentality?

Certainly this graduation carries more weight. She has accomplished a great deal. She has a perfect academic record: straight A’s from kindergarten to senior year. She has studied long hours and carried a monstrosity of a backpack. And she has had challenges. She faced off with a classmate bully in fifth grade, a girl who stole her best friend. And, then we moved her from one state to the next in the middle of high school.

But through the good days and the hard ones, my daughter continues to amaze me. She has earned the title of National Merit Scholar and then an incredible college scholarship. She is beautiful, and talented, and kind. She can draw the perfect cat’s eye liner and singlehandedly got the school newspaper up and running. Not only that, but she just found an elusive creature on her Nintendo DS Pokemon game. While I don’t always completely understand, her joy makes me happy.

I know her. I love her. And, I’m so incredibly proud of her.

So when she crosses that stage this time, I know I will be a mess. A big, fat, sloppy mess. Because this time means even more. We are in transition, her and I. I know that life is changing. And this graduation is the real thing.

So today I’ll focus on the now, not tomorrow. I’ll celebrate her yesterdays and hold my breath just a bit as I think about our future. I’ll take it one step at a time and thank God from the bottom of my heart for this gift of us, of today, of joy.


So proud of you, Sabrina.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr