Skip to main content

The Amazing Results of an Ordinary Life


I've been thinking about average women.

I know a lot of women who don't think their lives are all that special. Sure they are special in the sense that they have people who love them and who they love in return. But, perhaps, they feel they aren't making great strides in this world.

They aren't an Oprah or an Angelina Jolie. A Hilary Clinton or Princess Kate.

When I googled famous women, it suggested a list of 100 - living and dead. The historic women are writers and academics and social workers, the living are musicians and actresses (go figure!).

But the women I want to talk about are regular women.

You work hard and rarely make headlines. Many of you have full-time jobs in addition to the work you do at home.

You care for your children. You make meals. You dust. You drive lots of places. You wash clothes. Over and over and over again.

When the alarm clock buzzes, you get up.

When someone calls, you answer.

You work hard.

One of the women in my book, When Others Shuddered, was like that. When I researched Virginia Asher's life, I had difficulty because there wasn't a great deal written about her. She had never stopped to write an autobiography. She was too busy doing ordinary work. She went to school. She married. She helped her husband, who was a pastor. She volunteered. She spent time talking to other women. She held Bible studies.


When you look at Virginia's face, it is rather plain and ordinary. She is a woman you would pass by on the street and never stop to stare.

But what was remarkable about Virginia is that she had this huge heart. In the midst of a fairly ordinary life, she reached out to other women - particularly women who had a tough time in life.

She walked into Chicago's roughest brothel district and went right into the most expensive one. She wasn't there to protest or fight the evils of the day. She just offered to sit with the prostitutes, pray with them, hold the hands of one sick women or write a letter to her worried family. She just loved on them. Quietly, patiently.

When she was working in the city, she noticed that many ordinary women - women like herself - spent long hours in factories for low wages. She decided to start a small lunch for these ordinary women. She offered them sandwiches and Bible study.

At first just a few women attended. Then more. Then it grew beyond her boundaries. Word spread that Virginia Asher was a friend to women. She gave them friendship and hope. Soon, the Virginia Asher Women's Business Council was meeting across the country.

All because of one ordinary woman.

You see, we don't have to be extraordinary. We just have to look and see where we are placed. We have to be willing. We have to work hard.

We are extraordinary, not because of ourselves, but because we serve an extraordinary God.

When Virginia died, women gathered to talk about this "mother" they held dear. Virginia never had a child - it was one of her biggest longings and regrets. But she had thousands of women who called her "mom"...she had inspired them, comforted them, and lived a life of faith that gave them hope.

One woman wrote that not a day would go by that some woman somewhere would not pray and thank God for the life of this ordinary woman: Virginia Asher.

I am thanking God today - for many of you - the regular, ordinary, up -at-dawn punching the clock women. Take courage friends. Your life matters.

God is doing something through you that may not always seem apparent to you at the moment. He will take your small offering of love and hope and hard work and multiply it.

You have influenced one life...mine. And I know He will do great things through you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr