Skip to main content

The Things We Carry


Our families, in part, make us who we are. We have good characteristics, positive traits that our moms, dads, grandparents, and aunts left pressed upon us. And we have some not-so-great traits that we may wish had been left behind.

From my grandma, "Honey," and my mom, I received my thin body type. In my grandma's wedding picture, she stands in a 1940's era suit, tall and willowy. My daughter complains, sometimes, that she received the "not-so-great" parts of her parents. From me, I'm afraid, she received awkwardness - my complete lack of athletic ability. She and I cannot run a mile to save our lives.

From our families, we also inherit good and bad stories. When we would write narratives in my college writing class, I urge students to think through both the positive and the negative stories of their life. Both types of stories, I tell them, are your inheritance. All of it - the good and the bad.

Both types of stories have shaped who you are today. They have influenced your story. They have contributed to your beliefs, your hopes and your prejudices about family, love, life, and God. They have molded what you'd like your life to be like - and influenced your opinions on how you don't want to be or think or act.

Kathleen Norris, in her lovely, thoughtful book on faith, Amazing Grace, expresses this so well,

It's far less pleasant--it can feel like a curse--to include in my welcome the difficult ancestors: the insane, the suicides, the alcoholics, the religiously self-righteous who literally scared the bejesus out of me when I was little, or who murdered my spirit with words of condemnation. Abel is welcome in my family tree, but I'd just as soon leave Cain out. yet, God has given me both reminding me that the line in Psalm 16 "welcome indeed the heritage that falls to me," can be a tough one to live with. If, as Paul says, "all things work together for Good for those who love God" (Rom. 8:28), then in giving me a mixed inheritance, both blessing an curse, God expects me to make something of it. Redeem the bad, and turn it into something good.

Norris suggests that we are to redeem the bad. We are to tell all of our stories, the good, the bad, the hilarious and the heartbreaking.

In one of my favorite movies based on Amy Tan's novel, The Joy Luck Club, four Chinese mothers avoid telling their American-born Chinese daughters their stories. They want their offspring to have only the very best, good, positive, hopeful lives. They think the dark moments of their past should remain forever hidden in their past.

What they discover is that in telling those stories, they end up setting their daughters free. They teach them from those experiences. They become real and authentic in their relationships. The daughters, even when having to hear hard truths, are better for it.

Tan writes: "So this is what I will do. I will gather together my past and look. I will see a thing that has already happened, the pain that cut my spirit loose. I will hold that pain in my hand until it becomes hard and shiny, more clear. And then my fierceness can come back..."

This is our inheritance. It is real and fierce. It is not just the pretty, shiny moment, but the gritty stuff too.

Sifting our treasure, our inheritance, through our fingers, we learn.

We carry both the good and the bad. They made us who we are today.

Comments

Dawn said…
Thanks for writing this. I have been working on writing and sharing my own story, and it is a tough one to tell. I've been struggling with the back and forth dialogue in my head concerning the reasons and the ramifications for doing so. Reading this reminds me why I started, and why it's so important to share the bad along with the good. Perfectly worded!
Jamie Janosz said…
I agree. It isn't easy to write about things that are interwoven with memory and emotion.

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr