Skip to main content

Book Review: Being everPresent in our faith


What does it mean to live out the gospel?

For Jeremy Writebol, in his book, everPresent: How the Gospel Relocates Us in the Present, living out the Gospel is not about a new technique. Instead, he recommends letting our relationship with God seep into every place in our life.

Writebol explores God’s attribute of omnipresence, challenging believers to live in the same way – letting the gospel and our faith touch every place in our life: home, school, office, third places and the cities. Where we are should be affected by who we are.

I appreciate the rich descriptive details he uses to begin each chapter. He grounds us with who he is as a pastor and writer and husband. He lets us see his personal surroundings and then shows us how God’s Word transforms them. Writebol comments, “The place you are right now is God’s place. This ought to be a transforming perspective for us.”

He comments on the restlessness of our souls, arguing that this sense of spiritual dislocation is really our longing for God. “Our souls send us signals of pain, frustration, anxiety, fear, and trembling because they are trying to tell us that we are not in the right place. The diagnosis is that we have acute soul dislocation.”
Writebol suggests that this is a spiritual longing. Perhaps it is God drawing us to our true home.

Each chapter in the book begins with an atmospheric description of place:

“At this very moment, my home is a bakery as well as a recreational center and office. My wife is upstairs in the kitchen, baking hundreds of cupcakes for a school event tonight. The gingerbread and espresso scents move throughout the rooms of the house.”

It is in this realistic setting, that Writebol turns our eyes to God. This from his chapter on work: “Jesus didn’t take work away from us. He redeemed us from a life of finding our identity in work.”

The chapters conclude with questions for discussion. This would work well as a group study – a launching point for discussion. How does what we believe challenge the way we live? How does it change the way we are “everPresent” in every place?

We need to be Christians at home, and at work, but also in the “third places” – clubs, coffee houses, shops, gymns, places where people live and breathe and socialize. Rather than create a secondary “Christian” version of culture, Writebol challenges us, “The ever-present gospel in the third place means that Christians need to be in these places.”


Jeremy Writebol was a former student of mine at Moody Bible Institute - and I am honored to be able to review his work. His book is available on Amazon - or here:  http://store.gospelcentereddiscipleship.com/products/everpresent-how-the-gospel-relocates-us-in-the-present 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr