Skip to main content

When the Road Before You Seems Unclear




This week, I talked to two women facing unclear futures.


One was a student in her senior year of college. She asked for prayer on Twitter. When we talked in person the next day, she confessed that her unknown future was spiraling her into panic.

 “I’ve always known what lies ahead,” she explained. “Now I don’t.”

My other friend confessed over lunch that she had too many different options ahead of her – equally compelling and frightening. She had returned to college as an adult and pursued her degree while raising children, commuting, and even helping arrange her daughter’s wedding. She had been crazy busy. Now that she had finally graduated, she was looking ahead to what was next. More school? Work? The choices were bewildering.

I can relate so well because I have been there. I always preferred to have a plan, a road map for my future. I liked being in school and knowing what my next assignment would be. I like looking forward to specific events, the planning. I’m motivated by the anticipation of a set future.

What scares me the most is when my personal road map is uncertain. The fuzziness scares me.

Last year, as I anticipated a change in my 16-year career and even a possible out-of-state move, I felt frozen by my uncertain future. It is at those times that I am most compelled to pray. I would pray to God as I drove the 20-minutes to my commuter train station.

My prayers were disjointed, breathy, even desperate.

“Show me what to do next.”
 “Help me see what is best.”
 “Can you just give me answers?”
 “I need a plan, now!”

I was impatient to know what was next. I hated moving forward blindly. It made me feel out of control. But the truth was, and is, I am not in control.

One of my favorite Bible passages is Psalm 32:7,8, “You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” That verse has been a tremendous comfort to me during times of uncertainty. It says that when I am scared, I do not need to rely on my own strength or capability. But, neither do I need to cower in fear. I can hide in God and go to Him as my source of protection and deliverance (vs. 7).

He is enough. The reason that God can be our source of comfort (really the only true source!) is found in verse 8. God is instructing me and teaching me in the way I should go. He knows already. He is guiding me. I just have to wait, be patient and follow. The other wonderful part of this verse is that God knows me and my specific situation.

He sees my worried heart. He knows our secret longings. He is working in our lives to order our steps. He will not let us do this alone.

 God knows our future, even when we don’t.

And that, my dear friends, is enough. It is more than enough.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I, too, love to have always loved a plan and certainty in my life. After a series of unfortunate surprises, I have learned to take disappointment in stride. My strength comes from my ancestors and their stories of struggle. I feel I have their genes so if they could do it....
I do have another source of strength that I discovered when I first learned the meaning of prayer that allows me to dig down deeper and find what I need within myself.
Karen said…
The comment above was from me as I temporarily forgot how to sign in. Technology + aging sometimes a challenge, haha.
Jamie Janosz said…
Yes - Karen - I really appreciate your comments about disappointment and "unfortunate surprises." I'm sure we can all relate. I read once, in a book by Kathleen Norris, that the word "inheritance" should be used to describe both good and bad things. We would like to believe that we only inherit positive things (riches, etc), but life also hands us difficult circumstances and disappointment. This inheritance shapes us, and it becomes a part of our story. As I look back at hard moments in my life, I cannot say that I am happy that they occurred, but I do recognize their integral part of my story. They have made me who I am today.
Linda said…
"God knows our future, even when we don’t.

And that, my dear friends, is enough. It is more than enough."


Amen!! I am so thankful for this truth. I am more and more convinced that our loving Savior brings these times of uncertainty into our lives out of love...he longs to bring us to the place of complete reliance and trust.

I love 2 Chronicles 20:12b-13.

"...We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you. Meanwhile all Judah stood before the Lord, with their little ones, their wives, and their children."

I love that ALL of Israel stood before the Lord. Waiting. Watching for him to reveal HIS answer to their dilemma!

And this one in Psalm 141:8--
"My eyes look to you, LORD Almighty. I have taken refuge in you. Do not leave me defenseless."

Thanks for this reminder, Jamie!
Jamie Janosz said…
Love those verses, Linda. I know you have seen this in your own life as well. We can see Him - even if we cannot see our personal future. Amen...
lulu said…
Recently I read something that C.S. Lewis wrote which reminded me of this blog. So I came back here to share the quote.

"...The expense is of course very severe and I have worries about that. But it would be very dangerous to have no worries -- or rather no occasions of worry. I have been feeling that very much lately: that cheerful insecurity is what our Lord asks of us."

(from "The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume III")
Jamie Janosz said…
Love this quote, Lulu. Lewis is so great at observing those times in our life that are in the "gloaming" - the gray and uncertain moments. That is what his novel Till We Have Faces is all about.

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr