Skip to main content

A Thankful Heart



On this snowy, Chicago, Saturday morning, sitting at my kitchen table and still wearing my fuzzy bathrobe, my heart is filled with gratitude for all of the people who made publishing my first book a reality. On this day of my book release, I just want to say that I am tremendously thankful for all of you who helped make this little dream of mine a reality.

First, to each of these eight women – Fanny, Emma, Evangeline, Amanda, Nettie, Sarah, Virginia, and Mary - this book is about them and because of them. I want the honor to land firmly at their feet, for they are the ones who walked the long and difficult road of faithful service. They have my utmost admiration. I hope, some day, to be just a bit like them.
 
Second, I am thankful for my Moody Publishers editor, Holly Kisly. She believed in this project from the start and understood how important it was to tell the next genreation of women these stories. My editor, Karen Waddles, made sure my ideas were clearly communicated and that I ideas I hadn't intended were removed. Pam Pugh, a detailed editor, found mistakes and corrected them. With a book this historical, there is a huge potential for error.

Many people contributed to my research, especially Dawn Pulgine, Allana Pierce, Nikki Tochalauski, Carol Forbes, and Amy Koehler. Your expertise made it possible for me to find the records I needed. Special thanks to my audience development manager, Rene Hanebutt, and her able student assistants who are sending the word out far and wide. Janis Backing is setting up publicity interviews. The illustrated cover art is by one of my former students, the gifted Jonathan Critcher, and my author photo is the work of my talented and generous dear friend, Jill Obermaier.

There are men and women at each of these organizations who continue to do God’s work today. Thank you for your assistance in this project, but most importantly for carrying on the rich legacy these women leave behind. The Salvation Army, The Pacific Garden Mission, The Moody Bible Institute, and Bethune-Cookman University and Foundation deserve our support and prayers.

Beyond those who were directly involved with the project are those who inspired me, both as a writer and as a woman. I would begin to list them, but I am fearful of leaving anyone out of this long, long list. You are my friends, my teachers, my mentors, my students, my colleagues. You have poured into my life in rich and lasting ways.

To my mom, thank you for bringing me to church so often that we needed to have our own key. Thank you for your example of teaching and loving students in need. Thank you to Julie for showing me how to keep hope and stay brave in the face of personal struggle. To each member of my family, each and every one of you, and to my husband, Milt, thank you for believing in me and for the love and laughter you bring to my life.

And finally, to my daughter, Sabrina Rose, I believe you are a great woman.  You have a true heart and incredible intelligence. I am honored to be your mom.

My name may be on the cover, but it's not about me.

To God be the glory, great things He has done!


 

Comments

Dawn said…
I got my copy a few days ago and read Fanny Crosby's story last night. Your writing is wonderful and that woman is truly inspirational. I am not a Christian and I am only mentioning that because I think if anyone hesitates to read this book because their faith is a different one, they are missing out!
Congratulations Jamie, I think your book will be a great success. It already is:)
Jamie Janosz said…
Thank you Zara May for following fromt he UK! And thank you, my dear friend Dawn, for that beautiful comment. I am so honored that you read it - and happy that you too admire the invincible spirit of Fanny Crosby. I have always felt we were kindred spirits - I'd love to share your comment with others. Perhaps you would even post that as a review on Amazon for me? You would be my very first review - and it may be helpful for others... Many blessings always!
Dawn said…
Sure will! Heading to Amazon now:)

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr