Skip to main content

On the Eve of my 48th Birthday: 48 Things I Know



 
1. Buying a new mattress can change your world.

2. Taking a long walk is a sure cure for a foul mood.

3. Never send an angry email without waiting one day.

4. Guys say a lot of things they don’t mean when they are trying to meet women.

5. I should drink more water, but I don’t like it.

6. You really shouldn’t keep every childhood memento.

7. Memorizing the Bible works better when you are young.

8. Sweet potatoes are horrible.

9. Getting a dog is a major responsibility.

10. It is fine to go to bed angry when you need time to think and calm down.

11. Most situations look better in the morning.

12. Handwritten birthday cards should never go out of style.

13. Hugs are the best medicine.

14. Prayer changes us.

15. Raising a child is both exhausting and rewarding.

16. Raising a teenager has moments of sheer joy and unexpected friendship.

17. It is better if you wash dishes the same day you use them.

18. Not all stains come out.

19. Don’t buy dry clean only clothing.

20. Only one-third of your dinner plate should contain meat.

21. Try a little bit of everything before you say you don’t like it.

22. Friends are worth keeping.

23. Not everything can be easily forgiven.

24. Disappointments can lead to unexpected opportunities.

25. God is good. All the time.

26. People won’t stay with us forever.

27. Just because something is new, doesn’t mean it is better.

28. Don’t tell a salesman how much you want your car payments to be.

29. Shop resale.

30. If shoes are uncomfortable when you buy them, they probably won’t get better.

31. Get rid of those pants that almost fit.

32. Cut down a Christmas tree if you live near a tree farm.

33. Pick daffodils and put them on your spring time table.

34. Cookies from scratch are worth the effort.

35. Nutella is the perfect condiment.

36. Starbucks is on every corner for a reason.

37. Travel to as many places as you can.

38. When you’re on vacation, stop and take a mental picture. Stop. Breathe. Remember.

39. Give generously.

40. Laugh with your whole heart.

41. The Bible is completely applicable to modern day life.

42. All of Taco Bells menu items are basically the same thing in different shapes.

43. Toe socks are unnecessary and annoying.

44. Holding hands with your husband keeps romance alive.

45. Family matters.

46. Don’t burn bridges – disembark gracefully.

47. When you argue, and you will, always fight fair.

48. Love one another.

 

Comments

Great list! I found myself smiling, sighing and agreeing with you throughout!
Jane E said…
Great thoughts, Birthday Girl!
Jamie Janosz said…
Thank you! I've thought of a few more, but they'll have to wait for List #49!
Happy birthday! I just saw your comment on Johnathon Merritt's blog. Are you still looking for someone to write your foreword? Either way, I would like to meet you and recommend a person. I'm in Chicago, not far from Moody. I would also like to talk to you about speaking at our new community center.

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr