Skip to main content

Hot off the Press! Creative Journal for Christian Teens

Aletheia is a magazine that takes teens seriously. It gives them a voice. It listens. It allows them to imagine and communicate in creative ways. What a great idea!

When I was in high school, I had an English teacher who told me I was a good writer. Not only did she notice this talent in me, but she recruited me to be a part of a competitive writing team. It was that teenage experience that caused me to gain confidence and to pursue the career I enjoy today.

Perhaps that is why I see such potential for teens in the world of creativity. I love to recognize that spark in younger people and give them a gentle nudge to make their unique voice heard. This new magazine offers opportunities, not just for teens to hear the words or advice of others, but to become published contributors!

Aletheia takes its name from the Greek word for "truth." Creativity here is about truth telling through poems, short stories and photography. The issue boasts an impressive amount of full-color illustrations. The layout is sophisticated and simple. The magazine seems to refuse to be bound by typical "teen" themes, but explores liturgy and nature and Scripture.

I especially loved one contribution that featured a creative piece next to the profile of the teen who created it. I think that many young people will be encouraged by seeing someone unique and fun and hip who is also committed to God and to the craft of writing.

The magazine is the creative brain child of publisher and editor Nicholas Muzekari who wants to "nurture, teach, enlighten, and strengthen Christian truth and values." The magazine is in its initial stages, but has an accompanying web site that details submission guidelines for your teen and creative contests!

Nicholas is the self-proclaimed "proud father of three homeschooled children in Lansdale, Pennsylvania, and have been writing and creating artwork for as long as I can remember." He has his BA from Temple University and a Writing Diploma from the Institute of Children's Literature in Connecticut.

He says, "I have put all of my gifts and experience together to create Aletheia Writing Magazine. It is my sincere prayer and hope that it grows to become a wonderful resource and opportunity for young Christians who love to read, write, and create artwork."

Thanks, Nicholas!

I hope many of you will check out this creative work and pass it on to the teens in your life. All it takes is one simple word of encouragement from you to help pave the way for the next creative writer or artist!

Here's the link: http://www.aletheiawritingmagazine.com/. Why not purchase a subscription today!?

Comments

ben said…
Jamie, thanks so much for posting this review. It's great to hear the magazine is such an excellent and needed resource - Ben

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr