Skip to main content

Charlie's Angels and Brave Women















When I was in junior high, all of my girlfriends wanted to look like Farrah Fawcett-Majors, or at least copy her blonde shag hairstyle.


Her tragic death after a long battle against cancer made me reflect on my school-girl admiration of the tv star.

Farrah Fawcett played Jill Munroe in the 1970s television show Charlie’s Angels. Her character was one of a trio of female detectives – young adult women who were smart and strong and brave as well as beautiful. They could drive fast cars, solve complex crimes and outrun men. They didn’t let fear or villains stop them. Although I was definitely much more fearful of danger, I admired those women.

I was also a fan of the Bionic Woman played by actress Lindsay Wagner. Her character, Jaime Sommers, was noted for her amplified hearing, a greatly strengthened right arm, and the ability to run faster than a speeding car. She also happened to share my first name.

While these two shows certainly did not have a profound influence on my life, they did shape my idea of what a woman should and could be. Growing up as I did in the 70s – girls were trying to redefine themselves. Who were we meant to be? What type of roles should we fill in society?

While young girls in my generation were starting to be told that we could do anything and be anything we wanted – our main toys were still domestic or beauty-oriented items. We played with Easy Bake Ovens and dressed our Barbie dolls in the latest fashions.

For me, Wagner and Fawcett represented a different kind of woman, one who could break stereotypes and be more than just a pretty face. These women were taken seriously – and could look good doing it. They didn’t have to choose between beauty and intelligence – they could have both.

As women, we often get mixed messages about what it means to serve God. The brave missionaries I heard about as a young girl were always men like David Livingstone and Jim Elliott. While in Sunday School, I marched like the infantry, and sang songs like ”Onward Christian Soldiers,” rarely did I hear about brave, daring women. The ideal Christian woman that I read about in stories was demure and modest, quiet and submissive.

But the Bible is filled with strong women. Esther defied the King and saved her people. Ruth lost her husband and still braved the fields alone to care for her mother-in-law. Deborah was the only woman to hold the office of Judge for Israel, when no man was willing to fill the position. Rahab risked her life to save the Israelite spies from certain death.

Like these biblical heroes, the youn g women I meet in my teaching career at Moody Bible Institute are an assorted group. Some are quiet and delicate, others are artistic and unconventional, still others are strong and athletic. Yet, each of them have been called by God and have bravely answered His call for service.

I guess we are a bit like Charlie’s Angels after all. We too are agents on a mission. We are serving an unseen Boss and facing a dangerous enemy.

Comments

Well written and a good counter-point to today's "reality" shows like the Bachelor and Next Top Model.
Rachel said…
I just stumbled across your blog through Facebook and LOVE it! I'm going into my second year of teaching middle school and you are spot on in your writing.
Anonymous said…
Great article. Breakfast time before school has become our ritual Bible reading time. The girls loved the books of Esther and Ruth. We also read the chapters about Deborah. Great examples of Christian women, strong ones who stay home or go to battle. Thanks for writing this.
Jamie Janosz said…
Thank you! And welcome Rachel! I am so thankful for middle school teachers like you! I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the key issues facing our kids.

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr