Skip to main content

Miley's Wild Ride

Some of my more conservative friends have been posting grave concerns about Miley Cyrus's new dance video  "I Can't Be Tamed" which shows the tween star in a black feathered bondage looking outfit, dancing in a cage. The MTV style video is filled with gyrating dancers and slick moves that push the Disney singer far beyond her 17 years.

The conservative blog Culture and Media Institute wrote a piece titled "The Miley Cyrus Efffect" - the author notes, "Cyrus’ new music video, “Can’t Be Tamed,” has already received over 5 million hits on YouTube and featured Cyrus in a tight one piece leotard, dancing in a cage along with others similarly dressed. Parts of the dance are suggestive and sexual."


The media - which is normally noted as being open to a more liberal viewpoint - has reacted to Cyrus's new look as well. The Culture and Media Institue continues: "Even the media has noticed Cyrus’ inappropriate dancing. She is set to perform on the popular television show, 'Dancing with the Stars' and reports have surfaced that producers have told her she must keep her dancing G-rated."


But the author also expresses a point that I would like to question. She says, "When girls see Cyrus and their other favorite actresses and singers behaving like that, it normalizes the behavior."

I watched Miley's video. I found it a bit disturbing and not a great showcase of her talent. But I wondered whether or not my 12-year-old would be negatively effected by Miley. Should I hide this type of video from her? Will it ruin her? Will it, as the author above suggests, make her believe that such behavior is normal?

As a parent, should I be concerned about Miley and her cage dance?

I talked to my daughter about it. While she is not a huge Miley fan - we had gone to see her two more recent movies and enjoyed them. I told her about the video and asked her what kids were saying about it. She replied, "Miley is not even talked about at my school. Nobody cares about her anymore."

Sabrina and her friends have moved on past the teen stars that Disney thinks they are listening to. Her Ipod contains songs by singers like Owl City and Taylor Swift. Her tastes are maturing. She is learning to think for herself.

I think that sometimes the influences we adults most fear are not really influences at all. I also think that teens have some ability to separate an artist from her work. For example, just because I loved some of Madonna's songs in the 80s didn't mean that I endorsed every outfit or dance move she exhibited in her videos. I could like the song "Just Like a Prayer" without worshipping Madonna herself. To me these were separate issues.

If our teens are emulating everything a star does and says without discretion, we have a problem with our communication within our own home. A part of being a parent is being able to teach discernment. We need to grow our kids in their ability to move against popular culture - not accept every trend that is presented to them.

I must admit that I am concerned about Miley. To me, she seems to be following in the footsteps of other over-exposed child stars. Their fame seems to be too much too soon. Their desperate search for a new adult identity - apart from the child icon they were marketed as - seems to drive them into inappropriate life style choices. I will continue to watch her as she sorts all of this out.

But I will also keep the conversation open with my own child. What is she listening to? Who does she admire? How can I help her sort through what is good from what is popular?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr