Skip to main content

The Night My Small Group Broke Up


Wanting to know more people and become more “invested” in church at the age of 24, I reluctantly joined a small group.

I was post-Bible college, living in Chicago, trying to establish my role as an adult. I joined a hip urban church that had gorgeous stone architecture, uncomfortable wooden pews with lumpy cushions, and stained glass windows. I loved the gritty mix of lawyers and street people who filled the pews each Sunday. The choir sang from the back of the sanctuary, providing an other-worldly sound. The acoustics, with all that wood and stone, were perfect.

I longed to be a part of a church like this. It was a far cry from the plain Jane, suburban Baptist church of my childhood. This church was socially conscious and intellectually liturgical. This fit my identity – as a hip urban Christian. I wanted to belong to this church, to be a part of it.

But I knew no one.

Each Sunday I would slip, virtually unnoticed, into the pew. After the service, I would sneak quickly away and walk home, my insecurities preventing me from joining the coffee hour in the basement. I am an introvert by nature, and definitely not a group joiner. Belonging has never been a natural part of my life. Still, in this case I wanted to be more than just a visitor, so when they mentioned small groups, I was relieved. This was my way in. I could do this.

Our small group met in people’s city apartments. We were an odd mix. There were a few young couples and a few singles. We were urban dwellers – some suburban transplants. We all went to the church, but, besides that, we had very little in common. In our introductory moments, we kept throwing out bits of information, but no one jumped on them. They each died a slow death of silence.

The church asked each group to meet for 8 weeks then review the progress of the group. So we stuttered along during those first meetings. We quickly realized that there were no veterans in the group. We had all joined to get to know people in the church, but we were silently disappointed that every one of us was in the same boat. We were all newcomers. Nobody was connected or knew how to be.

We did the typical small group things:

We introduced.
We ate.
We Bible studied.
We prayed.
We left.

For eight weeks, we repeated the pattern. And it was okay. We all thought it was just fine. The food was great.

On week eight, when I was hosting the group in my little one-bedroom apartment, someone reminded us that we needed to have that conversation. We were supposed to talk about how the group was going, and decide whether or not to continue. No one wanted to go first. We all stared at the ground. I played with the styrofoam cup I was holding, quietly shredding the edge.

Finally, one man spoke. “I don’t know,” he said. “Maybe it’s me.”

We all looked up, startled. He flushed and averted his eyes. “Well, I don’t think this is what I expected.”

“Me neither,” gushed a girl who seemed like she had been holding her breath. “I wanted to know more people in the church. I thought we’d meet lots of people.”

The conversation continued, all of us nodding and breathing deep sighs of relief. It was like a strange, awkward, prolonged break up scene. “It’s not you; it’s me.” None of us wanted to continue. We were unanimously relieved, and slightly embarassed. My small group decided to break up.

One by one we left the apartment, friendlier than we’d been for eight weeks.As I shut the door to my apartment, I felt a sense of relief, but also failure. How could you break up with your small group? Was that even allowed? Was God ashamed of us?

I look back on that experience and wonder what went wrong. Why hadn’t we bonded? We had the commonality of Jesus. We all wanted belonging. Yet, we didn’t find it. That one small group failed experiment was enough to turn me off of the process altogether, as fashionable as it has become.

Are small groups successful? Some certainly seem to be. But, for me and for the others in my group, it was a bitter pill to swallow and an experience I don’t long to repeat.

I’ve thought that perhaps that this type of group bonding needs to happen more naturally, more slowly. Perhaps we just had a bad mix of people or it was the wrong time in my life. But generally I’ve found that the most rewarding relationships in my life are not forced or assigned.

It is true that loving Jesus provides great commonality among believers, but it is not always instantaneous. Spiritual bonding that goes beyond surface niceness requires time. It can develop gradually out of shared laughter and out of the little quirky things you find in common. Sometimes, it does not happen at all.

I have no great lesson in sharing this sad break-up story other than to say – I’ve been there. If you’ve ever felt the odd man or woman out – you aren’t alone. If you’ve felt you don’t fit in, know that there is great community to be found inside the walls of church, but it doesn’t happen quickly and it won’t happen every time.

For some of us non-group introverts, we need a gentle hand. We just need one friend, not an assigned group. We need time to know each other, to bond and to trust.

I know.  It happened to me.

Comments

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience, Jamie. I've been there. I had a really awkward small group experience right out of the gate. It was the same season of my life -- post-college, looking for connection.

I'm really glad that I didn't let it ruin my hope in these amazing communities, though. I have the immense privilege of hosting and leading a group now, and I can't imagine going through this season of life without them. The mismatched group we gather with has encouraged and coached my wife through our engagement and first 6 months of marriage. We've had the blessing of serving them and caring for them through family tragedies, seasons of unemployment and the like. Perhaps the most exciting part is that we have had the blessing of sharing the trials, burdens, blessings and joys of life.

I know the small group thing isn't everyone's cup of tea -- I have several "introvert" friends, even one in our small group, who take a long time to warm up to the idea, if at all. I'll add that this group took a long time to evolve into its current form, with a whole lot of awkward at its inception, but it was well worth the effort.
Jamie Janosz said…
Thanks for sharing your own story. That gives us all hope! I suppose it takes patience and a willingness to stick it out through the awkward moments--maybe even managing expectations. It sounds like, once that initial uncomfortable phase passes, there can be great reward.
jdoogan said…
Oh goodness. This feels so similar to my post-college church experience. Right down to the liturgy.
rongaskins said…
Small groups ... This is supposed to be the magic word in building community and discipleship - after all, Jesus chose a small group for His major investment of His time. So ....

Too often, we feel that small groups just happen and magically deep/abiding relationships spring organically just because we are in close proximity for an hour or so a week.

I've been in small groups for 50 years. Some I walked into naive and had no clue what to expect. In others, I have functioned as the initial 'coordinator' and turned the group over to another quickly,remained in the group and was discipled powerfully, or participated in leadership and a resource person within other groups.

Good groups don't 'just happen'. Group dynamics are real and we must learn to work within them or the group can even become destructive.

Good groups should be facilitated by an effective leader who has goals in mind and skills to get there. Participants need to be cooperative with the process. Sometimes, this requires that we suspend some of our own personal agenda because we need what the group has to offer rather than assuming that we always know what we need.

We were once openly challenged in a small group setting with "tell me why I need a small group". This person had been wounded by small groups and was openly hostile. After a few months of meeting together, this man took me aside and shared with me how The Lord had been working with him through the small group to become a more faithful Christian, a better husband and a better father. I was humbled. Still am. God is good.

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr