Skip to main content

The Frustration of Failing Eyesight




I am one of those people who likes, maybe even needs, to see everything clearly.
I  like my future planned out neatly before me.
When I was younger, I had my future planned out. I was going to be a writer. I was going to get married and have a child or two. Before I married, I wanted to have an apartment of my own in Chicago. I wanted to go to Europe, specifically Paris. I wanted to earn my graduate degree.

And, I did most of those things.
But, as I walk through middle age, things are not quite as clear as they once were.

My eyesight, for one, is shot. Things began to appear significantly fuzzier in my early 40s. I remember eating out in a dimly-lit restaurant and not being able to read the menu. I fumbled for the tiny key-chain flashlight in my purse and muttered, “Why do they print things so tiny!?” When the flashlight didn’t appear, I held the candle inches from the print and squinted.
My husband Milt remembers one night when, due to my failing eyesight, I ordered a $29.99 appetizer, thinking it was only $7.99. When the bill came with the huge sum, I was outraged. “They overcharged us!” I protested.

“No,” he pointed out. “It’s right there, on the menu.”
It was clearly printed on the menu I could no longer read without wearing glasses.

This year, after several years of wearing reading glasses 24/7, I gave in and purchased a pair of progressive lenses. This, apparently, is the new fancy word for bifocals. They are working, but I am still adjusting to the fact that I need them for everyday tasks.
Yes, I’m getting older, and life is getting fuzzier.

My future is also less clear. I don’t always know what is around the bend. I can’t control outcomes. I can't prepare for everything. It feels like I have more to worry about – my family, my career, our health, our finances. There is more at stake, and it seems like there is also less certainty in what comes next.

This grey, fuzziness is connected to our faith. There are so many times when we can’t see clearly – and it frustrates us. Anne Lamott once compared God’s guidance to the frustration of driving through dense fog. The car lights only shine a few yards ahead of us.

I remember, as a child, being on a family road trip when a dense fog rolled in. The highway became a mass of grey swirling clouds. It was night, and my dad was getting nervous. We couldn't see the side of the road. We couldn't see the exits. We could vaguely make out headlights on the two-lane highway - but it was getting treacherous. My mom was nervous, and my dad slowed the car down to a crawl.
He opened the driver's side door just a bit and kept his eye on the center line. We crept along slowly until we made it safely to our destination. The fog was blinding and bewildering.
Mentally, we struggle with driving through the fog. We want to see the whole road. Yet, the murky, soupy fog blocks that vision. We can only see what is directly ahead. Yet, we have that much.
God doesn’t always reveal the full plans for our lives. Even though I know He holds my future, I can get frustrated when I'm not in on the plan. He gives us just a bit of vision. And, for now, that has to be enough.
I don’t like fuzziness. I don’t like to see things this way, but it is the realistic limitation of our earthly existence.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible talks about this and sheds a bit of hope on the situation – I like the King James version best:

“For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then I shall know even as also I am known.” I Cor. 13:12
Looking at our life can sometimes be like peering at that menu in the dim restaurant. We can’t see clearly. The mirror is old and dim and dark. But, we can rest assured that this lack of vision won’t be our fate forever.

God gives us hope.
We will see and be seen.
We will know and be known.

We will cast off our earthly glasses and see everything, clearly, at last.

Amen.

Comments

Sonia said…
I have been thinking a lot along these lines, specifically how security is such an illusion. When I was young I chose a 'secure' career, sought a family of my own to feel 'secure', same for home and car and the rest. But everything can be taken at a moments notice and my only security lies in Christ, and that gives me hope and comfort when every other area of life is foggy and uncertain.
Jamie Janosz said…
Thanks for reading, Sonia! You are so right. I guess these things bring temporary feelings of safety - but they are ultimately frail...

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr