Skip to main content

Meeting the Man in Black



I had the privilege of meeting Johnny Cash many years ago.
My dad had always been a big fan of the Man in Black. So, when I heard he was in Chicago, signing copies of his book Man in White at the downtown Kroch’s and Brentano’s, I stood in a long line to get his autograph.
He seemed bigger and more weathered in person. Johnny was wearing his signature black and signing book after book. When my turn came, I mustered up my courage and asked if he could address it to my dad. “Could you write, ‘To Neil: Another great musician?’”
Johnny looked up at me, and he grinned.
The second time I saw Johnny was at a concert at Chicago’s Cubby Bear venue. The place was packed with an odd assortment of people: punks, little old ladies, hard-core motorcycle dudes, and assorted country people wearing cowboy hats. Standing room only.
My dad pushed to the front of the stage to see the man he so admired. I stood a bit back with my mom where it was less claustrophobic.
The crowd began to chant, “Johnny, Johnny, Johnny…” A few band members took the stage, and everyone went wild.
When Johnny finally walked on stage, the place exploded. He couldn’t even say his signature line: “Hello, I’m Johnny Cash,” it was simply too loud. He started laughing.
Finally, he picked up a guitar and started singing. June was there as well. What a night it was . . . I’ll never forget it.
Johnny is in heaven now, and so is my dad. I hope they finally had a chance to shake hands and maybe make a little music together.


Last week, I had the opportunity to visit the Johnny Cash Museum – just opened in Nashville, TN. The entrance fee is modest – about $14 a person – to see a collection of Johnny’s memorabilia.
 

They have his black suit and his guitar with a dollar bill folded in the strings to make that raspy percussion sound.

 

They have the original stone wall, transplanted from their home that burned to the ground.  They have his high school photos – adorable. I loved the personal mementos, like this valentine heart from Johnny to June.
 
They have his manuscripts and his Bible.
 
What some might not know that while Johnny Cash was a great musician, he was also a man of great faith.
After I watched his biography, I realized how human he was. He was an addict and unfaithful in marriage. He had a temper. He crashed and burned. He hurt his children.
He was also redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. Johnny knew he couldn’t pick himself up. He needed God. To the end of his life, he declared himself (like the apostle Paul) a man completely transformed only by God’s power.
At the end of the museum, they are playing a video of his recording of the Nine Inch Nail's song “Hurt.” He talks about the fact that all of this – all the human evidence of fame and glory – will one day end.
Only who he was in God would endure.
The song says: “What have I become, My sweetest friend?
Everyone I know, Goes away in the end.
You could have it all, My empire of dirt,
I will let you down, I will make you hurt.”
Johnny realized that everything he had accomplished was only temporary. Both his triumph and his pain would ultimately fade in light of eternity.
Although the museum held a wonderful collection, I was a bit sad as I left. It made me miss the Man in Black. It made me miss my dad.
I know they are both in heaven. This is not the end of the story.
I am thankful that in this museum paying tribute to a great country star, it also pays tribute to our God who changes lives and promises us forever.
 

Comments

Mr. Tiny said…
I LOVE THIS POST!!! I was just listening to Johnny sing that song with my own dad the other day and thinking about the transiency of life but the eternal nature of our relationships. I'm glad you guys had fun on your trip!
Jamie Janosz said…
Awwww...thank you, Mr. Tiny! I love so many types of music, but something about Johnny Cash's music gets right into my soul. Give your dad a big hug for me :-).
Lisa said…
I LIVE HERE and I haven't been yet. For shame! Huge Cash fan and I enjoyed your "how I met the man in black" stories. My mom was at the Red Cross in Nashville, where she was an RN, when she met Johnny Cash in the 80's. As she tells it, "He walked in in the most GORGEOUS gold thread silk shirt. No bodyguard, just him in the donation room. And Ginger [one of her coworkers] blurted out 'Oh my God, you're Johnny Cash!' and he smiled and said, 'Yes, ma'am, I am.' " Could you die? What a cool dude. I can't wait to check out the museum, thanks for the sneak peek!
Jamie Janosz said…
Lisa - I LOVE your story. That is so cool. I love Nashville. Next time I'm back, I'll have to ask you for recommendations. One thing we didn't get to do was go to the Bluebird. I love all sorts of music - so it is incredible to hear so many talented people in one place.

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr