Skip to main content

Baptized in Humanity

I stood in the middle of Miami International Airport, arms spread, palms facing up, feet on the two yellow footprints painted on the cement floor.


The female security agent was a foot shorter than me, her brown braided hair came only to my chin.

She pulled on latex gloves. "I'm going to pat you down," she said, "But when I come to sensitive areas, I'll use the back of my hand."

I nodded.

"Would you prefer to move to a private area?" she asked, her eyes softening.

"No," I shrugged. "This is fine."

My husband was behind me in line - and another security agent was being summoned to give him the same inspection. We had decided to opt out of the x-ray machine that was scrutinizing everyone attempting to fly out of Miami. The funny thing is that even after passengers were x-rayed, another agent was patting them down anyway. Regardless, the whole process made me feel like a common criminal.

Between the spread-eagle pat down and the already invasive procedure of disrobing and putting the contents of my life in plastic bins, I was feeling overwhelmed by the desperate state of humanity. "What have we come to" I wondered, "that we are treated with such suspicion - that these procedures have become an acceptable part of the ordinary human experience?"

My entire trip to Miami was an experience of feeling immersed in and overwhelmed by the world. It began with our bus ride to South Beach. The ride on public transportation was only $2.35 compared to the $28 ride on a hotel shuttle. So, hoping to save some cash, we boarded the bus - surrounded by speakers of many foreign languages.

The bus had only made one stop when a tall leggy and chesty woman boarded. She had leathery skin, a cowboy hat, bleached blonde hair, and a skimpy tank top that was stretched to capacity. She carried a large wooden skateboard with a chain attached to it. As the bus swayed to and fro, she clung to the metal bar like a stripper to a pole.

The entire bus was fascinated.

We were even more fascinated when, as she turned completely around, we realized she was most likely a man.

The man/woman continued to pose and preen. She would lean out the bus window and flip off random pedestrians, shouting expletives, and trying to catch the attention of the bus riders.

Everyone of us purposely avoided her eyes.

When the/man woman stepped off the bus, we gave a collective sigh of relief.

Miami is a humid blend of humanity. During our weekend visit, we met people from every walk of life. We ate French sandwiches and drank Cuban coffee. We chatted with our taxi driver, an Egyptian who had been beaten four times in his country for being a believer. We ate pizza outside of a club where African American teens were gathered, one wearing a gold chain that read "Free Lil."

There was extravagant wealth and extreme poverty. My husband and I were blocked from entering the pool area of the Fountainbleau Hilton where guests pay $500 to stay for one night. Immediately afterward we walked the boardwalk and met a woman from Ecuador selling necklaces in the blazing sun while her four year old son played by her feet.

And, in a fitting ending, on our last night, as we walked along the beach - we saw the same man/woman singing and yelling to herself standing on a park bench...her chained skateboard nearby.

Miami was the most vivid example of a melting pot that I had ever seen. It was for this world that Christ came. I thought of this as I stood with my feet planted on yellow footsteps. Scripture tells us that he humbled himself, that he came and dwelt among us.

Graham Greene says it well in his novel The Power and the Glory: "We were made in God's image. God was the parent, but He was also the policeman, the criminal, the priest, the maniac, and the judge...It was for this world that Christ had died; the more evil you saw and heard about you, the greater glory lay around the death."

Jesus didn't dwell in a church or cathedral; he rode the bus, walked the streets, caught a cab, wandered on the beach. He willingly stepped into humanity and lived and breathed among us. My public humiliation at the airport dwindles in the face of his extravagant love.

It is for this world that Christ died.

Comments

Ben DeVries said…
Excellent post, Jamie - Ben
Anonymous said…
This is a beautiful and humbling post. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr