Skip to main content

Secret Millionaire: Teaching Our Kids About Poverty & Need


When we were very little, I remember driving through the worst section of a big city with my family. We were lost, I believe, and my dad was gripping the steering wheel of our 1970s station wagon tightly as he navigated unfamiliar streets. Scroungy looking men were hanging out on the corners, and my mom locked our car doors and whispered a tense command to the back seat: "If I say the word, duck."

Poverty was generally unfamliar to us. It is not that we were rich. I grew up in a middle class suburban neighborhood - extremely blue collar. My town's claim to fame was that we had the world's biggest limestone quarry. Every day, around 10 am, a dynamite blast would shake the walls of our ranch-style home. My parents were public school teachers, and, while money was tight, we always had clean clothes and new shoes when we needed them, and a hot-cooked meal on our table every night.

My first real experience with poverty came during my time as a college student at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Just blocks to the west of our school was one of the city's toughest housing projects: Cabrini Greene. During my freshman year, I tutored a young boy named Roy who lived in the projects. In most ways he was just like any other 2nd grade boy, except he had grown up being used to shootings and violence. Now, when I thought of the dangerous projects, I also thought of Roy.

I saw poverty face to face when I worked at the Pacific Garden Mission on Chicago's south side. Women would come to the mission after many nights on the street or just after they had been released from prison. Their skin was weathered and their hair dishevelled. Their eyes were tired and hardened by the difficulties they had seen. I was often asked to spend time talking with the younger woman. Maria was a runaway. She was tired and angry and defiant. Her hair was greasy and her nail polish chipped. She looked away from me when she talked and wiped the stray tear from her eyes. She spoke of being lost and scared and afraid. When I returned the next week, Maria had gone. She was back on the streets. Now, when I thought of homelessness, I thought of Maria.

It is hard, as a mom, to know when and where to introduce my daughter (who lives a very comfortable suburban life) to the realities of poverty. I want her to be safe. I want her to avoid danger. Yet, I also want her to be grounded in the awareness of the world around her and the needs of people who have had a harder road to walk. Many of us have opportuntiies to take our kids on international trips or to help out with a charity. My one good friend takes her daughters to serve food at a soup kitchen. She is helping put a face to the concept of hunger.

Because this concept is near to my heart, I was pleased, this week, to watch my first episode of ABC's Secret Millionaire. Each week, the show features a wealthy individual or couple who want to bestow some of their wealth to some deserving individuals. They go undercover and are sent to some of the worst neighborhoods in our nation. The week that I watched, a very wealthy businessman went to Los Angeles's Skid Row neighborhood.

During their stay, they interact with both the needy residents and the volunteer organizations who are working to make a difference.

The show was inspiring. Not only did it highlight the work being done for those in poverty, but it put a face on the homeless and the underprivileged. The most remarkable thing about the episode that I watched was not the change that this millionaire was able to make in the neighborhood by writing checks for thousands of dollars. The more significant change happened in his own heart. He began to see not just an area with shady characters and dangerous dark alleys, but real people who are struggling and hurting and needing. He began to see faces, not just issues. He began to see a lot more like Jesus.

Secret Millionaire is not a Christian television show, but it could be.

It is just one way to teach your child, and maybe yourself, a little more about poverty and the ways we can join together to make a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr