Skip to main content

Is Texting Trouble for Teens?

A recent study said that teens who “hyper-text” may be more at risk for problems with sex, alcohol, and drugs. By “hyper-text” they mean teens that text more than 120 times a day. Knowing some of the teens that I do – that number does not seem out of reach.


I am sure this news worries some parents, particularly those whose teens have the cell phone in hand during almost every humanly possible activity. I’ve seen teens texting while talking to another person. They text in class. They text on the bus. They text while doing homework. Some text while driving. Communicating through texting has become as natural to them as conversing – and far more convenient.

The study was performed at 20 public high schools in the Cleveland area. More than four thousand teens participated in a confidential survey.

Why is it a cause for concern?

1) Parents do not know how much their teens are texting.

Recently a friend of ours said she received a print out of her 16-year-old daughter’s cell phone use. The detailed bill, for just one week, listed a dozen pages of calls. Her parents were shocked. They had no idea that their child was on the phone that often. How could she have gotten anything else done? What was she saying during all of these texts?

2) Parents who are unaware of texting habits – may be unaware of other activities as well.


There is a concern by experts that hyper-texting is just another symptom of a parent who is uninvolved. I have great sympathy for parents. Staying involved with our teens is no easy task.

Teens, by their nature, are reclusive. They are often at home glued to their computers, alone in their rooms, listening to music or playing video games. Some parents intervene into the teen’s private world – many choose not to. To avoid intervention is to avoid conflict. Parents want to pick their battles – so they sometimes resort to limited involvement.

3) Teens who hyper text are more than three times as likely to have sex.

This study concluded that many teens who hyper-text are susceptible to peer pressure. Texting engages them moment by moment with their peers – and permissive or absent parents may be unaware of the potential influence this presents. Dr. Scott Frank, the study’s author, said, “"If parents are monitoring their kids' texting and social networking, they're probably monitoring other activities as well.”

4) Hyper-texters are more often girls.


5) Only 14 percent of kids said their parents set limits for texting.

Many are disagreeing with this study, but I think it is a cause for concern. As a professor of media, I am aware that no form of media is neutral. It has advantages, but it also produces disadvantages. Texting might be an exclusive and private world that the teen can saturate himself or herself in without interference from parental influence.

Parents of teens who text should take note. There is nothing wrong with setting limits. There are many who have hours for acceptable texting use. Phones can be physically removed from their possession during homework, family or sleeping times.

Kids may not like it when a parent gets involved, but this study does affirm that intervening parents can help produce well-balanced adults.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary McLeod Bethune: She Has Given Her Best

I first heard about Mary McLeod Bethune when I was a student at Moody Bible Institute. She was an early graduate of my college - and an African American woman. I knew she had gone on to become one of the greatest women in our country. She was so well known that she earned the status of being featured on our postage stamps. But I didn't really know much about her. As I researched Mary McLeod Bethune for my book, When Others Shuddered: Eight Women Who Refused to Give Up . I learned a bit more about her remarkable life: She was the 15th of 17 children, born to former slaves. From an early age, she hungered for education. She graduated from Moody Bible Institute with a desire for missionary service to Africa - an opportunity she was denied because of her race. Undeterred, she started a school for African American girls in Daytona Beach, Florida, that went on to become Bethune Cookman University. She was asked to work with Franklin D. Roosevelt and led many African Am

Pacific Garden Mission: A Bed, A Meal and the Bright Light of Hope

In 1877, a woman named Sarah Dunn Clarke and her newly-wedded husband George started a rescue mission on Chicago’s south side.   They were wealthy, but their hearts were broken by the men and women who struggled to survive on the city’s streets.   The Pacific Garden Mission is the 2 nd oldest operating rescue mission in the United States. Now located on 14 th St and Canal – just south of Chicago’s loop – they offer shelter to as many as a thousand men and women on any given night.   As part of my book research to understand how the work of Sarah Clarke continues today, I visited the mission with my friend Dawn Pulgine. Entering through the side, we felt a bit out of our element. Men, black and white, old and young, clustered near the doorway. Some carried bags of personal belongings. Others were working the desk and security. It was mid-day at the Mission. We were given a tour by one of the “program men” – residents who choose to stay and live at the

Your Roots Are Showing

I'm older. I know that. But, honestly, I still feel pretty young. Well, most days at least Today I received a not-requested senior discount at Einstein Bagels. It appeared as a $1.03 credit on my receipt, along with the cheery explanation. And if other people don't tell me I'm older, my body definitely does. I traveled to and from Chicago last week with my daughter and her friend. Being the self sufficient woman I am, I helped the girls boost their luggage into the airline's overhead bin. Later that day, I felt my mistake. My back has not been happy ever since. I've been putting those sticky heat patches on it, Ben Gay rub, ice, heat wraps, you name it. And still when I turn incorrectly . . . ouch. There are other signs too. I wear glasses now . . . all the time. It started with readers, and then progressed to progressives. And I HAVE to color my hair now. Those pesky roots keep reappearing in an ever-shinier shade of silver. I (briefly) considered embr